Greetings

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου
hello to everyone,

I've been a user of boost geometry since its first release. I'm now completing my postgratuate studies on computer science and my master thesis will be on spatial indexing (mostly R-Trees on GPUs).  I plan to work on implementations as well. Could I be of any help?
I initiallly reached Adam Wulkiewicz via my SO account Nikos Athanasiou. To introduce myself I'll place here my linkedin account http://gr.linkedin.com/pub/nikolaos-athanasiou/70/533/11b and my blog https://ngathanasiou.wordpress.com/

Hope to hearing from you soon,
Nikos Athanasiou

Re: Greetings

Adam Wulkiewicz
Hi Nikos,

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου wrote:
hello to everyone,

I've been a user of boost geometry since its first release. I'm now completing my postgratuate studies on computer science and my master thesis will be on spatial indexing (mostly R-Trees on GPUs).  I plan to work on implementations as well. Could I be of any help?
I initiallly reached Adam Wulkiewicz via my SO account Nikos Athanasiou. To introduce myself I'll place here my linkedin account http://gr.linkedin.com/pub/nikolaos-athanasiou/70/533/11b and my blog https://ngathanasiou.wordpress.com/

Thanks for contacting us here! Any help is appreciated, there is a lot things that can be done. Do you have some ideas, plans, what would you like to do? Do you prefer working on the R-tree or other parts of the library? If the R-tree is your preference, would you like to propose some addition related to your master thesis or implement some other things like serialization, (persistent) storage, additional balancing or packing algorithm, etc. ? Or would you prefer helping us with improving the "main" part of the library e.g. by adding the missing support for non-carteian coordinate systems or improving the support for 3D cartesian, etc. ? Or would you like to start from learning about the internals e.g. by fixing some bugs?

Re: Greetings

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου
Hi Adam,

 working on other parts of the library as well would be great but for now I need to focus on the R-Tree (time constraints prohibit doing otherwise). I believe beginning with bug fixes and studying is the way to learn. Once I acquire sufficient knowledge of the library (~month considering that summer holidays are upon us) I'd like to work on balancing/packing algorithms. Also serialization and support for external memory algorithms is an interesting topic, but I believe I'll have a better insight only after the ~month learning period.
 As for things related to my thesis, if there's a plan to incorporate GPU computing to the library (especially now that "boost.compute" seems to be able to make it into boost) I'd be happy to work on implementations and propose algorithms there as well; I attached a small presentation-survey project (skip to section 4, the initial part is just introduction to RTrees) where you can see areas of application for GPUs and references to some papers on the topic.
 I'll be expecting guideliness on how to work on bug fixes (or priorities therein - hopefully sorted by ascending difficulty :P )

Regards,
Nikos Athanasiou

Hi Nikos,

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου wrote:
[...]

Parallel Spatial Query Processing on GPUs Using R-Trees.pdf (928K) Download Attachment

Re: Greetings

Barend
Hi Nikos,

Op 30-7-2015 om 22:08 schreef Νικόλαος Αθανασίου:
[...]

Welcome, and thanks for your document!

Re: Greetings

Hi Nikos,

Sorry for a late response.

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου wrote:
[...]

The currently reported bugs can be found here:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=geometry&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=milestone&order=priority

Regarding the rtree bugs I'm fixing them as fast as possible so currently there is only one depending on the other parts of the library, a feature request and one which I couldn't reproduce.

I had many plans regarding things that could be improved or added into the rtree but I don't have enough free time. I think that for now I'll write about them in a separate, private email. If there are other people willing to help, please just say. In general, feel free to propose anything that you think could be a good addition to the library.

You can propose changes by creating pull requests on GitHub: https://github.com/boostorg/geometry
Please also have a look at the "For Contributors" section in the GitHub Wiki starting from this: https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial

Re: Greetings

Νικόλαος Αθανασίου
Hello,

Just a quick answer in this thread. I forked boost geometry and will be reading into your contribution tutorial. I'll communicate the specifics in the private mail.

Thanks for the guidance,
Nikos

Hi Nikos,

Sorry for a late response.