Heads up! boost 1.59 is coming up

Menelaos Karavelas
Hi all.

According to the published schedule (see
http://www.boost.org/development/index.html), the list of important
dates for boost 1.59 is as follows:

* June 24th, closed for new libraries (I believe this also means, closed
for breaking changes and new features)
* July 1st, closed for major changes
* July 8th, closed for all changes
* July 11th, completely closed
* July 15th, beta release
* July 16th, open for bugfixes only
* August 5th, closed for all changes
* August 12th, boost 1.59 release

My understanding is that we need to decide which among the open PRs is
going into 1.59, which not.
Also summarize what people would like to have in 1.59, and until when
they plan to submit a PR (we do need some time for reviewing too, so
this basically means that any PRs introducing new functionality should
be available within one week from today the latest, if I understand the
schedule correctly).

I propose to merge develop into master the week between June 17th and
June 24th.

All the best,

- m.

Re: Heads up! boost 1.59 is coming up

Thanks for the heads up.

Menelaos Karavelas schreef op 3-6-2015 om 14:42:
> Hi all.
>
> According to the published schedule (see
> http://www.boost.org/development/index.html), the list of important
> dates for boost 1.59 is as follows:
>
> * June 24th, closed for new libraries (I believe this also means,
> closed for breaking changes and new features)

This is, IIUC, for really new libraries - they need complete integration
into the whole tool chain, and the special attention of release managers.

> * July 1st, closed for major changes

IIUC breaking changes / new features are major changes.

> * July 8th, closed for all changes
> * July 11th, completely closed
> * July 15th, beta release
> * July 16th, open for bugfixes only
> * August 5th, closed for all changes
> * August 12th, boost 1.59 release

> My understanding is that we need to decide which among the open PRs is
> going into 1.59, which not.
> Also summarize what people would like to have in 1.59, and until when
> they plan to submit a PR (we do need some time for reviewing too, so
> this basically means that any PRs introducing new functionality should
> be available within one week from today the latest, if I understand
> the schedule correctly).

Agreed.

What do we plan from the geographic features? There are already some
slipped in, but we should take care they are all documented then.

For projections I think it is still too early - I'm currently at the
point that the new spheroid model should be shared between distances and
projections. And there are some open points.

> I propose to merge develop into master the week between June 17th and
> June 24th.
Agreed

Re: Heads up! boost 1.59 is coming up

Menelaos Karavelas
Hi Barend.

On 03/06/2015 04:45 μμ, Barend Gehrels wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Menelaos Karavelas schreef op 3-6-2015 om 14:42:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> According to the published schedule (see
>> http://www.boost.org/development/index.html), the list of important
>> dates for boost 1.59 is as follows:
>>
>> * June 24th, closed for new libraries (I believe this also means,
>> closed for breaking changes and new features)
>
> This is, IIUC, for really new libraries - they need complete
> integration into the whole tool chain, and the special attention of
> release managers.

Okay that makes sense.

>> * July 1st, closed for major changes
>
> IIUC breaking changes / new features are major changes.

So this gives us one more week.

>> * July 8th, closed for all changes
>> * July 11th, completely closed
>> * July 15th, beta release
>> * July 16th, open for bugfixes only
>> * August 5th, closed for all changes
>> * August 12th, boost 1.59 release
>

>> My understanding is that we need to decide which among the open PRs
>> is going into 1.59, which not.
>> Also summarize what people would like to have in 1.59, and until when
>> they plan to submit a PR (we do need some time for reviewing too, so
>> this basically means that any PRs introducing new functionality
>> should be available within one week from today the latest, if I
>> understand the schedule correctly).
>
> Agreed.
>
> What do we plan from the geographic features? There are already some
> slipped in, but we should take care they are all documented then.

I agree we should document the envelope/expand behavioral changes. I
will do that once PR #302 get done (I need reviews for it).

Regarding Adam's additions to new strategies, my own personal
understanding is that we leave them undocumented for 1.59.
Adam?

> For projections I think it is still too early - I'm currently at the
> point that the new spheroid model should be shared between distances
> and projections. And there are some open points.

Sure, they can wait. No problem for me.

>> I propose to merge develop into master the week between June 17th and
>> June 24th.
> Agreed

Apparently we have one more week. I still think we should merge then,
and if needed do a second merge the following week.

- m.