Status of extensions (maintenance and release)

Status of extensions (maintenance and release)

Mateusz Loskot
Administrator
Hi,

Could anyone remind me what, if any, has been the conclusion
regarding how extensions are maintained and if they are
expected to be released with the main codebase?

I recall this dicsussion [1], but I'm likely missing final decisions.

[1] http://lists.boost.org/geometry/2014/11/3213.php

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: Status of extensions (maintenance and release)

Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone remind me what, if any, has been the conclusion
> regarding how extensions are maintained and if they are
> expected to be released with the main codebase?
>
> I recall this dicsussion [1], but I'm likely missing final decisions.
>
> [1] http://lists.boost.org/geometry/2014/11/3213.php

It depends. We work on them and move into the release when they're
ready. E.g. geographic distance strategies was moved recently, though
they are not yet documented. We plan to work on projections in the near
future. Some of them require great ammount of work before they are ready
for release, like the nsphere. Some of them probably won't be developed
further and therefore could be removed, like the old version of the rtree.

On 16 March 2016 at 03:47, Adam Wulkiewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could anyone remind me what, if any, has been the conclusion
>> regarding how extensions are maintained and if they are
>> expected to be released with the main codebase?
>>
>> I recall this dicsussion [1], but I'm likely missing final decisions.
>>
>> [1] http://lists.boost.org/geometry/2014/11/3213.php
>>

> It depends. We work on them and move into the release when they're ready.
> E.g. geographic distance strategies was moved recently, though they are not
> yet documented. We plan to work on projections in the near future. Some of
> them require great ammount of work before they are ready for release, like
> the nsphere. Some of them probably won't be developed further and therefore
> could be removed, like the old version of the rtree.

Adam,

It makes sense, thanks.

Best regards,
Mateusz Loskot