Testing the development branch

Mateusz Loskot
Administrator
Hi,

In this section of the wiki [1]

cd libs/geometry
git checkout develop
git branch -vv
git pull

shouldn't the `cd` command read

cd modular-boost/libs/geometry

as presented in typical commands sequence [2]  for a Boost library

At first glance, the section [1] reads like it is an alternative
solution to build
Boost.Geometry develop branch against e.g. Boost installed from
binaries package *without* need to git pull the modular boost base project,
and the only requirement is that b2 is in PATH.
I don't think that is even possible.

Or am I missing anything?

[1] https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial#fork-boostgeometry-repository
[2] https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost#Developing

Best regards,
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: Testing the development branch

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> In this section of the wiki [1]
>
> cd libs/geometry
> git checkout develop
> git branch -vv
> git pull

AFAIU you're not talking about [1] but about [3], section "Testing the
development branch of Boost.Geometry", is that correct?

> shouldn't the `cd` command read
>
> cd modular-boost/libs/geometry
>
> as presented in typical commands sequence [2]  for a Boost library
>
> At first glance, the section [1] reads like it is an alternative
> solution to build
> Boost.Geometry develop branch against e.g. Boost installed from
> binaries package *without* need to git pull the modular boost base project,
> and the only requirement is that b2 is in PATH.
> I don't think that is even possible.

I assumed that after pulling modular boost a user is already in
BOOST_ROOT, so in modular-boost directory. I have nothing against
changing it. Indeed it could be more intuitive this way, so to use the
same path as TryModBoost.

Regarding the section [2] or actually subsection [4]. This is an
optional step indeed presenting a way to check newly created fork
outside BOOST_ROOT directory, without running tests or anything, only
for testing if a fork works. Basically this step is not needed, hence is
"(optional)". We could remove it if you think it may be confusing.

> [1] https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial#fork-boostgeometry-repository
> [2] https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost#Developing

[3]
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial#testing-the-development-branch-of-boostgeometry
[4]
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial#verify-if-your-fork-works-optional

On 6 March 2016 at 17:42, Adam Wulkiewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> In this section of the wiki [1]
>>
>> cd libs/geometry
>> git checkout develop
>> git branch -vv
>> git pull
>

> AFAIU you're not talking about [1] but about [3], section "Testing the
> development branch of Boost.Geometry", is that correct?

Adam,

You are right. I copied wrong URL. Thanks for correcting me.

>> shouldn't the `cd` command read
>>
>> cd modular-boost/libs/geometry
>>
>> as presented in typical commands sequence [2]  for a Boost library
>>
>> At first glance, the section [1] reads like it is an alternative
>> solution to build Boost.Geometry develop branch against
>> e.g. Boost installed from binaries package *without* need to git
>> pull the modular boost base project, and the only requirement
>> is that b2 is in PATH. I don't think that is even possible.
>>

> I assumed that after pulling modular boost a user is already in BOOST_ROOT,
> so in modular-boost directory. I have nothing against changing it. Indeed it
> could be more intuitive this way, so to use the same path as TryModBoost.

My question is more about: does this section [2] talk about trying fork
inside modular Boost source tree or inside a standalone geometry-only folder?

> Regarding the section [2] or actually subsection [4]. This is an optional
> step indeed presenting a way to check newly created fork outside BOOST_ROOT
> directory, without running tests or anything, only for testing if a fork works.

Right. I think, "fork works" was confusing to me.
As it is about git capabilities, not about "does my forked geometry source
tree build and test?"

I don't propose to remove it. I just did not get its actual intentions
after first reading :)

Best regards,
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net